Videotape is a new app that allows you to create and send videos together with your friends, family, and colleagues. It’s super easy to use – simply record a video, then add people to the project so they can record their own messages. Next, you can easily combine the videos, and send this awesome group video to whoever you want!
The short answer to this is – anyone! With Videotape you can get anybody involved in creating your video, no matter where they are in the world. This means you could involve your housemates, family you live with, or friends and relatives in all the far-flung corners of the globe.
It really is up to you, the sky (and your internet connection) is the limit. Whether someone is next door or on the next continent over, with Videotape it couldn’t be easier to make a fun and wholesome holiday video.
The great thing about collaborative holiday videos is that they can really be made to send to anyone in any place at any time. They’re a very versatile way of reaching out to people and letting them know you’re thinking about them during the holiday season, adding a nice personal touch to a period that can be crowded with clichéd and repetitive greeting styles.
Friends on the far side of the country? Holiday video. Family out of town and unable to make it back for the reunion? Holiday video. Want to reach out to clients at your workplace and build up a bit of good will? You better believe you and your colleagues should get together and make them a holiday video.
Now that social media has made it so much easier to communicate with those we know and the wider world at large, you might want to think about sharing a holiday video on any platforms you use. Who knows, if you put your comedy thinking cap on before recording, your holiday video might just end up a viral sensation!
So you’ve decided to make your collaborative holiday video, but perhaps now you’re feeling stumped about what to actually do for it. There’s no pressure quite like being put on the spot to perform, that’s showbiz baby! To help get your creative juices flowing, here’s a few ideas that we think could make great collaborative holiday videos:
- Wish some holiday cheer: a classic and great starting point for any holiday video. Have everyone say “Merry Christmas!” “Happy Hanukkah!” or whatever holiday they celebrate.
- Get creative with your decorations: who doesn’t love looking at some nice holiday decorations? You could even get everyone to make their own personal holiday decorations to show off and boost their competitive edge.
- Say what your favorite thing about the holidays is: there’s so many things that go into celebrating holidays these days, and they’re one of the few times of year we’re allowed to go completely over-the-top extra! It’s easy to forget all the great things about the holiday period, so this can be a great way of reminding yourself of all the small things
- Sing a holiday song: no matter what religion or culture you’re from, it’s hard not to love a good holiday banger. Perhaps skip this one if you’re not the best singer ;-) (lip syncing is also an option here)
- Share your favorite holiday memory: this one has the potential to get super wholesome! Also a great opportunity to embarrass family and friends with any old stories you have about them.
When you’re trying to get the right tone for your holiday group video, it’s important to think about who you’re going to be making it for. Different audiences will call for different approaches, so it’s good to think about what kind of greeting is going to be the best one to go for.
A classic greeting
Nothing says happy holidays like a classic holiday greeting. Think along the lines of:
- Merry Christmas
- Happy Hanukkah
- Seasons greetings
- Festive cheer
- Happy New Year
For friends and family
Something more personal and touching is called for here, for example:
- Sending lots of holiday love
- All I want for Christmas is you!
- You’re the best gift I could get
You want to keep this professional but personable:
- From my family to yours
- Thank you for a great year
- Enjoy the time off work!
This is a chance to show the human side of your company:
- Thank you for supporting us this year
- Returning the joy you’ve brought us
- Looking forward to working with you in the new year
Sometimes, you gotta admit that someone else has probably already said it better:
- ‘One of the most glorious messes created in the world is the mess in the living room on Christmas day’ – Andy Rooney
- ‘May you never be too grown up to search the skies on Christmas eve’ – Anonymous
- ‘Christmas will always be as long as we stand heart to heart and hand in hand’ – Dr. Seuss
And sometimes, you gotta admit someone else has probably already sung it better too:
- “Holidays are joyful, there’s always something new. But ev’ryday’s a holiday, when I’m near to you.” – Merry Christmas, Darling
- “What a bright time, it’s the right time, to rock the night away.” – Jingle Bell Rock
- “Oh the fire is slowly dying. And, my dear, were still good-bye-ing. But as long as you love me so, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.” – Let It Snow